In line with the Paris Agreement, EU policies and the UN Sustainable Development Goals, Cluster 5 aims to support research on social challenges and to strengthen/improve key digital technologies and industrial capacities as a part of the Global Challenges and European Industrial Competitiveness pillar.
As known, the subcomponents related to the Social Challenges and Industrial Leadership pillars of Horizon 2020 are clustered with Horizon Europe taking into account the common points. The fifth of these six clusters formed in this way is the Climate, Environment and Mobility cluster. At the heart of this cluster lies the idea of achieving the EU's goal of becoming the world's first climate-neutral mainland by 2050. Therefore, the objective of this Cluster is to support the projects in the areas of climate (EU Climate Law, 2030 Climate Goal Plan, EU Climate Adaptation Strategy), energy (Hydrogen Strategy, renewal wave for Europe, EU Strategy for Energy System Integration, Offshore renewable energy) and mobility (Sustainable and Smart Mobility Strategy) that will contribute to the goals of EU strategies, European Green Deal and Digital Europe priorities.
In this context, developing projects on twin green and digital transitions become an important issue to accelerate the transformation of regional economy, industry and society.
Furthermore, it is seen that energy and mobility areas become intertwined areas in line with the above-mentioned goals and objectives.
Cluster 5- Climate, Energy and Mobility area, with the effect of the new strategic vision of the European Commission "A Clean Planet for All" and the new industrial strategy of the EU, will contribute:
- To accelerate and direct digital and green transitions;
- Restoring Europe’s ecosystems and biodiversity, and managing sustainably natural resources to ensure food security and a clean and healthy environment
- Making Europe the first digitally led circular, climate-neutral and sustainable economy through the transformation of its mobility, energy, construction and production systems;
- Creating a more resilient, inclusive and democratic European society
186 topics 1.647 Billion € (2021 annual total budget)
- Batteries: Towards a competitive European industrial battery value chain
- Driving Urban Transitions to a Sustainable Future (DUT)
- Clean Energy Transition Partnership (CETP)
- Towards Zero-emission Road Transport (2ZERO)
- Zero-emission Waterborne Transport
- Connected and Automated Mobility (CCAM)
- Clean Aviation
- Europe’s Rail
- Single European Sky ATM Research
- Clean Hydrogen