EMBO has various scholarship programs and supports provided to scientists, doctoral students and post-doctoral researchers of EMBC member states.
Similarly, the goal of the EMBO New Venture Fellowship is to support early career scientists, in any field of life science research, who would use this opportunity to enter a new field or bring a new direction to their research efforts. These are career development fellowships with the intention to support high quality candidates to explore feasible projects or generate preliminary data to help transform their research trajectory.
- Applicants must be active researchers with a minimum of two years research experience at the PhD level, and no more than two years experience as an independent group leader.
- Projects must have a biological significance and should increase our knowledge on a particular biological process.
- Applications should promote interdisciplinary research, with the proposed project being different to the applicant’s current topic.
- Applications should aim to form new collaborations, to help ensure the continuity of the research.
- The fellowship must involve a research project at the host lab. Applications for consultations only, or to attend courses, workshops, or symposia will not be considered.
- EMBO does not consider applications for the EMBO New Venture Fellowship to prolong visits begun under other auspices, or as bridging fellowships between, or prior to, long term stays funded by EMBO or other organizations.
- The fellowships are awarded for exchanges between laboratories in EMBC Member States, Associated Member States or Cooperation Partners. During 2022, applications for research exchanges involving Japan and one of the EMBC Member States or Cooperation Partners are eligible. Exchanges between two laboratories within the same country are not eligible.
- Duration of support: The EMBO New Venture Fellowships are intended for visits of up to three months (90 days).
- Travel costs and stipend: The fellowships contribute towards travel costs and subsistence of the fellow but not of any dependents. The subsistence rate depends on the country being visited.
- Publicity: Applicants and their projects can be advertised via the communication channels of EMBO at the time of the award, and at the conclusion of the fellowship.
- Three application calls will take place, funding up to three fellowships per call. The second call will be open until 13:00 CET on 2 May 2022. Funding decisions will be made in August 2022, and the awards are available after that.
- The application process is handled via the online application system. Applications and supporting documentation (two references, receiving institute acceptance) are only accepted via the online application system.
- Please read the EMBO New Venture Fellowship guidelines before applying online.